Thursday, October 9, 2014

Connie Alexander - Maker of Collectible Teddy Bears


I met with Connie on a rainy afternoon in her Nevada City home.  Connie showed me to her cozy studio, with sewing machine, cutting tables, and lots and lots of supplies for making her special teddy bears.  As Connie explained, these aren't toys for children but rather collectibles for adults with the heart of a child still within.  Connie uses the very best  materials for her bears - mohair fur from Germany and synthetic furs that look like the real thing.  Her husband Bill helps out too - he installs the joints to make the bears lifelike and often cuts out the fabric for Connie to sew into lovable bears that you just want to hug. Each bear is stuffed with poly fill and  plastic pellets to give it a nice firm, but touchable feel.  Connie also sews coloring book totes and soft, cloth books  for children which are included in her sales booths.

Connie says she started making bears in 2000 and attends many craft fairs and quilt shows each year.  She has been trying to cut back recently on her travels, but says she is still having fun with her business. 

Here is a little side show of bears, Connie at work in her booths and a glimpse into her studio.  Just click the arrow on the picture below and sit back and enjoy!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I love teddy bears. Especially homemade ones. They are the best. I have so many in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice show this year. Some new vendors and a lot of returning members. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. My spouse and I stumbled over here by a different website and
    thought I should check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you.
    Look forward to looking over your web page again.

    my web blog :: seo ราคาถูก

    ReplyDelete